Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Searching for Serenity

It's three-word Wednesday time. Today, a limerick based on the words draft, locate, and serenity.


Why do I write? The question comes up often enough, if not from someone else then from my own mind as I sit in front of the computer trying to decide which keyboard button I'm supposed to press next. There's always more than one answer, even for one writer.

Serenity in Saratoga
Serenity in Saratoga (Photo credit: *~Dawn~*)
Serenity, it seems
Was drafted in my dreams.
I can't locate
That perfect state —
That's why I'm writing reams.


One reason I write is because I'm always searching for that satisfaction, peace of mind, and calmness that always seems just out of reach. Writing brings it just a little closer. I've been able to graze serenity, that nirvana, but never able to grasp it.

And even if I could, I'm not sure I would want to.

As Robert Louis Stevenson once said, "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour."
Enhanced by Zemanta