Monday, April 29, 2013

Time Flies When You're Having a Breakdown

Did you miss me?

Yes, my plan to celebrate National Poetry Month with daily poetry readings fell through. And yes, on top of that, I haven't posted in two weeks.

And yes, I went to the annual conference of the American Copy Editors Society (ACES) and haven't even blogged about that yet. But I have a good excuse: I took a new job.


I literally (and I mean literally literally) dropped off my acceptance of a job offer from Slingshot SEO on my way to the ACES conference in St. Louis. What followed was two weeks of preparing to leave John Wiley & Sons while steeling myself to start at a new place. And even though I was excited about moving to a smaller, more agile, more exciting company, leaving the corporation I had been with for over 12 years could be nothing but stressful.

But I did it. It's still stressful, and I still worry about whether I made the right choice, but all things seem to be going in the right direction.

So, yes, I took a new job as an online editor at Slingshot SEO in Indianapolis, which, in the time between my acceptance of the job and my first day last Monday, had rebranded itself as digitalrelevance™. (For what it's worth, my mother approves of the name change. "Slingshot" only made her think of Eddie Haskell.)

Also in the last three weeks, I have been working on my forthcoming e-book of short stories and shorter poems, Seasonal Work. My new publishing target is early May. What I can share with you now, though, is the cover image! (At least until I decide that it needs more futzing and redo the whole thing.) Here it is:
(Take note of the sign in the window.) Any comments are appreciated, of which the first will likely be that there's too much going on in the image. I'm fine with that. It mirrors what's inside.

I will be blogging more often again soon. I have a lot to share. Watch this space!